Quick Start Guide
Quick Start Guide
We’re Dedicated To Giving You A Smooth Ride!
We will guide you through all aspects of your web development project. To get started, let’s look at some of the basics:
1. Domain Name: If you don’t have one, purchase a domain name at Dreamhost.com. We’ve had many troubles with GoDaddy and Host Gator so stay away! This step is strictly for the www.mybusiness.com domain part. It has nothing to do with actually hosting your website on the internet.
2. Google Maps: We will help you claim and personalize your free Google Maps listing. You can choose whether or not your address is visible. Additionally, we will provide you with a review link that you can send to clients so that they can leave you 5 stars!
3. General Appearance: Provide us with a sample site or two that you like or let us build you a website based on your goals.
4. Images: All websites require attractive images. If you already have the images we can run them through Photoshop, or we can take them ourselves if that’s practical. For stock images, check out pixabay.com or look at shuterstock.com which has over 250,000,000 images and a bunch of videos and soundtracks. It’s rather tricky to narrow the searches on so many images so you can count on us to assist with this step. About Copyrights: We’ve had two calls asking for help with this. Some photo companies like Getty Images use bots to scrub the web for their photos and then send an email from their lawyers theatening to sue you if you don’t pay a bunch of money–like $2,000 per image! It’s imperative that you only use images that are either purchased or “open source.” For example, all of the images on Wikipedia are open source as are the free images on pixabay.com. If you search on Google Images be sure to go to Tools >Usage Rights >Creative Commons to filter out the copyrighted images.
5. Proofs: We will develop your site in segments so that you can approve the work each step of the way.
6. DONE! When you love your site, we’ll take it live and send you an invoice for the second half of our fee. Take a look at our flat-fee packages.
About Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
SEO might be vital to your marketing efforts. All of our packages include basic SEO. Here is a list of the most important factors:
Google Maps: This is #1 because it’s very effective for search rankings and completely free. You may have already done this but, if not, we can claim and customize it.
Quality Content: Content is the single most important factor. When search engines hit the web in the early 1990’s SEO was just two things: 1) Good quality text, and 2) how many sites link to it. Currently, it is estimated that Google has 152 algorithm formulas which rank sites.
900 Words: From what the experts say, you need 900 words on your home page. Often we accomplish this with a Frequently Ask Questions (FAQ) accordion page on both the home page and the FAQ page. One onecallairandheat.com we built a tips and tricks page. It’s ten topics with 90 words of text. That gives us the 900 words and provides content that visitors are interested in.
Text Formatting: There’s a very special way to organize your content. We take care of that.
Images: When we optimize your images in Photoshop, we name the files with keywords such as: web-design-seo.jpg. Never DS44796.jpg!
Regular Updates: In most cases your competitors aren’t posting regular content; they just build a website and forget about it. This is huge mistake that you can take advantage of. A blog is a good choice. Something like, “Galveston Wildlife.” Google doesn’t much care if the blog is related directly to your business. A blog post just needs one picture and 300 unique words. You can’t just copy and paste text onto your site from another site. If this is done, Google will bump down your search rankings. We can run your blog or you can post on your blog with just an email. Type about 300 words, drag in a photo and hit send. WordPress will automatically size the photo. Super simple!
Facebook Integration: Google likes it if your FB page is hooked into your website. A good way to implement this step is to simply copy the links from your webpage and paste them into a FB post. We can even pull FB posts and pages into your website.
Google Ads: This is affordable and effective. Pay-for-click ads are, for most businesses, the single best form of SEO. Learning how to create and manage Ads is a bit overwhelming. Here’s a link to a tutorial on AdWords. Remember, you can set a daily budget for clicks. Even $10 a day can work quite well in some markets. Here’s an excellent 20 minute AdWords tutorial on YouTube.
WebWorks Can Provide You With Many Special Functions
- Reservation systems for vacation rentals
- Appointment systems for medical professionals
- Facebook integration
- Email marketing
- Interactive client reviews
- Online lease applications
- Image and video galleries
- Google ads management
- Pretty much anything you can imagine!